JPHP is a new implementation for PHP which uses the Java VM. It supports many features of the PHP language (5.6+).
How does it work? JPHP is a compiler like
javac, it compiles php sources to JVM bytecode and then
can execute the result on the Java VM.
JPHP is not a replacement for the Zend PHP engine or Facebook HHVM. We don’t plan to implement the zend runtime libraries (e.g. Curl, PRCE, etc.) for JPHP.
Our project started in October 2013. There were a few reasons for that:
- Ability to use java libraries in PHP
- Upgrading performance via JIT and JVM
- Replacing the ugly runtime library of Zend PHP with a better runtime library.
- Using the PHP language not only on the web
- Also: unicode for strings and threads